Followers

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Week Two Post

This is the post for week two of our Research class....even though it's getting posted during week three!  Last week was super crazy, but we press on!

I really enjoyed the insights provided by the video interviews.  I enjoyed what each of the three gentlemen had to say and felt like a learned a lot.  I particularly enjoyed the video remarks regarding not "reinventing the wheel."  I love how connected we are through this process.  It allows us to share information and ideas easily.  Very helpful!

I'm still on the fence about my action research project.  I met with my site supervisor and she is supportive of whatever I choose to do. 

Here are my four ideas: 

1. How can we facilitate greater use of technology in fine arts classrooms?
The first topic that initially intrigued me was looking at ways improve the use of technology in fine arts classrooms.  We are introducing a new initiative on our campus next year called Bring Your Own Device which encourages students to use technology in the classrooms.  I have noticed hesitancy among the other educators in the fine arts department over this new initiative.  I thought this topic of study could help generate ways to integrate technology in our classrooms and reach students on a new level.  However, upon visiting with my site supervisor and doing additional research I am hesitant with this topic.  I realized I was perhaps a little far-reaching by extending myself into my colleagues classrooms.  Dana (2009) says that should you "focus on controlling changing teacher behavior, try reframing" your inquiry to "help you understand teacher behavior" instead. (p. 67)  While I do believe that fine arts programs need to integrate technology further into the curriculum, I've decided to start my changes in my own classroom first.  Perhaps I can then share my findings with my colleagues and inspire them to do likewise. 

2.  How can we determine the success of our cross-curricular writing initiative on campus?
The second topic I began thinking about surrounds the new cross-curricular writing program my campus is set to begin in the fall.  Our campus STAAR writing results were not satisfactory and we are looking for ways to improve them.  We have been given the challenge by our administration for students to write something every day in every class.  This situation seems ripe with action research possibility.  I would like to compare writing test scores from last year with our scores from this year to see if we've achieved any improvement.  I would also like to conduct classroom observations across disciplines to see what, if any, changes teachers are making in regards to writing in their classrooms.  I think teacher surveys would also be beneficial in gathering information.  After visiting with my site supervisor, I am beginning to leave this topic behind.  We have fears that this inquiry might be too simplistic for an action research project. 

3.  How does the involvement level and academic success of our freshmen who attended our orientation "Colt Camp" compare with their peers who did not attend?
This third topic interests me because I am passionate about engaging kids from the beginning of their high school careers.  There is a mountain of evidence stating that kids who are involved in activities on campus are more likely to have better grades and to graduate.  I'm interested in the specific ways we encourage students to attend the orientation and the methods we use to market various campus activities.  I would like to compare the Colt Camp attendees to the average of their freshmen class.  We could then use the findings to either improve what we do for orientation or market these findings to middle school parents to increase incoming freshmen attendance.   After visiting with my site supervisor, this topic remains a contender for my action research project. 

4.  How can I better integrate technology into the Theatre Arts curriculum?  How does this positively effect students' academic success in my classroom?
This fourth topic is an off-shoot to the first topic I mentioned.  The phrasing of this topic allows for the reality of the situation:   the only thing I can control is myself.  I need to focus on my own area first.  Perhaps the data I generate will persuade some of my colleagues in the fine arts department.  I think this is a helpful area for research because it ties into a campus-wide initiative and it challenges the way students have traditionally learned in my classroom.  After visiting with my site supervisor, this topic remains a contender for my action research project. 

I am leaning towards topic 3 or 4.  I am just having trouble making up my mind!  We'll see!   :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment